An end of year reflection for each student, based on their portfolio (folder) of artwork made in class. This resource is a graphic organizer, based on the standard “Five Paragraph Essay”, to help students organize their ideas and begin writing their Artist Statement.
5 sessions; 45 minutes per session
1. Reflect on a year of work.
2. Introduce yourself and your goals in art class.
3. Understand how to use the “Art Critique” format.
4. Conclude your statement noting connections that run throughout your work.
5. Write a personal artist statement. If word processing, learn how to photograph, upload, crop and size your photo
1. Student folder or portfolio of their artwork.
2. Pen or pencil to fill in Graphic Organizer (see downloadable file, “Artist Statement”)
3. Cell phone/camera
5. Optional- materials to complete unfinished projects.
1. Explain what is an Artist Statement.
2. Show examples of artist statements.
3. Model reviewing artwork and selecting 3 pieces.
4. As a class, read sections aloud and explain, answer questions, etc.
5. Optional- to present to class