Students design and paint murals/banners with encouraging messages on butcher paper to decorate the hallway at the beginning of the school year.
2 sessions; 45 minutes per session
1. The students will use hierarchy to design a banner with a message.
2. The students will make appropriate color choices to make their message clear.
3. The students will utilize good craftsmanship when painting their banners.
1. Butcher paper
2. Tempera sticks
3. Tempera paint and brushes
5. 2 inch masking tape
6. Packing tape
1. Explain the project: work together to design and paint banners/murals to decorate the hallway in the first days of art class. I had one long banner prepared ahead of time with a quote that is our theme for the year and as that was completed small groups of students started creating their own. I drew the image with pencil and traced with tempera sticks.
2. Paint designs with liquid tempera. Tempera sticks can be used to highlight our outline.
3. When murals are complete and dry, put rolls of masking tape on the back and seal the edges to the wall with clear packing tape or staple to a bulletin board.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[9-12 Proficient] Students apply media, techniques, and processes with sufficient skill, confidence, and sensitivity that their intentions are carried out in their artworks
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[9-12 Proficient] Students create artworks that use organizational principles and functions to solve specific visual arts problems
Visual Arts Standard 3: Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
[5-8] Students use subjects, themes, and symbols that demonstrate knowledge of contexts, values, and aesthetics that communicate intended meaning in artworks
You must be logged in to keep, like, or comment on this resource.