1. Introduce works by David Hockney with PowerPoint.
2. Review student prior knowledge on camera care, how to take pictures, composition, lighting, etc...
3. Students take 15-20 photos of each other, outside and in different areas. Remind them to not stand far away from their subjuect and be aware of composition, background and lighting.
3. Students upload their photos using Picassa.
4. Students choose one photo, alter it to black and white, and make adjustments to contrast and lighting.
5. Save the photo, and then insert into a Publisher file several times.
6. To make the mashup images students cop and paste the original photo several times, crop, enlarge, reduce, rotate, alter the same images and compose them to create an abstract cubist portrait.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[5-8] Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques, and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[5-8] Students employ organizational structures and analyze what makes them effective or not effective in the communication of ideas
[5-8] Students generalize about the effects of visual structures and functions and reflect upon these effects in their own work
[5-8] Students select and use the qualities of structures and functions of art to improve communication of their ideas
Visual Arts Standard 6: Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines
[5-8] Students compare the characteristics of works in two or more art forms that share similar subject matter, historical periods, or cultural context