1. Students will review and practice cursive writing. (3 x 20 minutes).
2. Students will find and draw an animal. I have them practice a couple times before moving on to the final. On their final, they need to only draw the outline. (2-4 X 20 minutes)
3. On a clean piece of drawing paper, students will draw the outline of their animal towards the center of the paper. Draw lightly and draw big (1 x 10-20 minutes).
The rest of the steps will take 1-4 days depending on how fast the students work.
4. Once the outline is done, students may choose a marker and trace over the top of their pencil line of their drawn animal outline.
5. Students will now trace another line around the first marker drawn line. This should give you a thicker outline. Try not to leave any white between the two lines.
6.Writing on the outside of the outline, student will sign their names (first and/or last) on the line over and over. This first layer should be small and fairly close together. Don't let any lines go inside of the animal outline. (refer to image)
7. Slightly above this layer, they will sign their names over and over again. This time their name should overlap the names below, slightly. This signature should be a little bigger than the last. (See examples)
8. Again, Slightly above this layer, they will sign their names over and over again. This time their name should overlap the names below, slightly. This signature should be a little bigger than the last. (See Examples)
9. Finally, this signature will begin somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd layer and will go away from the outline, not following it. (See example.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students use different media, techniques, and processes to communicate ideas, experiences, and stories
[K-4] Students know the differences between materials, techniques, and processes
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[K-4] Students know the differences among visual characteristics and purposes of art in order to convey ideas