1 session; 40 minutes per session
1. Students will use their imaginations to make a drawing that turns a piece of cardboard into something else after reading “Not a Box”.
1. Drawing paper
2. Small pieces of cardboard
3. Masking tape
4. Black crayons or markers
Need these materials?
1. Read the book Not a Box by Antoinette Portis and discuss
2. Show the It’s Not a Box video
3. Students work in projects
-give students paper with cardboard taped in the middle so that they can adjust the position
-students use black crayon or marker to draw, adding details to show what they imagine their “box” is
It would be super fun to make a video with your students’ drawings and their voice over saying what “it” is.
Visual Arts Standard 1:
Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students use different media, techniques, and processes to communicate ideas, experiences, and stories
[K-4] Students use art materials and tools in a safe and responsible manner
Visual Arts Standard 2:
Using knowledge of structures and functions
[K-4] Students use visual structures and functions of art to communicate ideas
Visual Arts Standard 3:
Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
[K-4] Students select and use subject matter, symbols, and ideas to communicate meaning
[K-4] Students explore and understand prospective content for works of art