This project allows students to illustrate an image using each element of art. When students have finished the project, they will have created an accordion book of the elements of art.
10+ sessions; 45 minutes per session
1. SWBAT - Define each elements of art.
2. SWBAT - Give and example of each of the elements of art.
3. SWBAT - Define reflection.
1. Drawing paper cut to size (Each student will need 7 pieces if they are not working in a group). I have used both 9x12 and 4x6 pieces.
2. Colored pencils, markers, and/or crayons.
4. Blending stumps, swabs, or tissues.
6. Construction paper for the accordion book (cut to the six of the drawing paper plus 1/2 on each side and enough room on one side to connect to other pieces.
7. Found items - Students will be asked to bring items from home to complete their texture card (I will provide yarn, printed texture paper, construction and tissue paper, etc.
1. Teacher will lecture over the Elements of Art (15-30 mis.)
2.) Students will decide and draw an image to use for their book.
They need to think about what that image would look like if you only saw an outline. Ex. if you did an outline of a basketball, would your viewer know it was a basketball, but if you did
There are so many different ways to modify and enhance this assignment.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[5-8] Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques, and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas
[5-8] Students select media, techniques, and processes; analyze what makes them effective or not effective in communicating ideas; and reflect upon the effectiveness of their choices
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[5-8] Students employ organizational structures and analyze what makes them effective or not effective in the communication of ideas
[5-8] Students generalize about the effects of visual structures and functions and reflect upon these effects in their own work
[5-8] Students select and use the qualities of structures and functions of art to improve communication of their ideas
Visual Arts Standard 3: Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
[5-8] Students integrate visual, spatial, and temporal concepts with content to communicate intended meaning in their artworks
[5-8] Students use subjects, themes, and symbols that demonstrate knowledge of contexts, values, and aesthetics that communicate intended meaning in artworks