This is a lesson I adapted from something I saw online. I use the project as an intro to working with oil pastels before we move onto a larger oil pastel project. It helps the students familiarize themselves with how oil pastels work and feel and helps them practice blending them together.
2 sessions; 80 minutes per session
SWBAT familiarize themselves with oil pastels
SWBAT to blend oil pastels
SWBAT use analogous colors to blend
1. Black paper - 6" x 12"
2. Oil pastels in various colors
1. As the students enter, a video loop of Lava Lamps will be shown. We will discuss what they see and how the light is projected to make it looks like it glows from beneath
2. Using a pencil, students will draw large drips on the top and bottom of their paper. The drips should vary in size and length.
3. Students will draw a few bubbles on their paper with a few that overlap each other.
4. Students will pick a color scheme for their lava lamp. They will use analogous colors. There should be a main color and then a color to be used for a lighter version and a darker version. They may also use white to lighten the colors.
5. Teacher will demo how to blend with oil pastels so it's a gradual blend and not stripey. Students should NOT use their fingers to blend. Using oil pastels on top of one another will blend them. A slideshow will be shown and posted for reference.
Students will be graded based on the attached rubric.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[9-12 Proficient] Students conceive and create works of visual art that demonstrate an understanding of how the communication of their ideas relates to the media, techniques, and processes they use
[9-12 Proficient] Students apply media, techniques, and processes with sufficient skill, confidence, and sensitivity that their intentions are carried out in their artworks
[9-12 Advanced] Students initiate, define, and solve challenging visual arts problems independently using intellectual skills such as analysis, synthesis, and evaluation
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[9-12 Proficient] Students evaluate the effectiveness of artworks in terms of organizational structures and functions
[9-12 Proficient] Students create artworks that use organizational principles and functions to solve specific visual arts problems