2. Grid image and watercolor paper lightly with a
3. Lightly sketch an outline of the reference image
with a pencil.
4. With the outline completely drawn, begin
painting the background using unnatural colors, tints and shades. (The finished painting should not look realistic or anything like the colors that appear in the reference image).
5. As each square is painted, leave a SLIM space that reflects a tessellated appearance.
6. When the background is painted, students will begin painting the foreground (or main subject matter) of their reference image.