5 sessions; 50 minutes per session
1. Students learn about the life and art of Vincent van Gogh and Georgia O'Keeffe.
2. Students create textural paintings combing the two artists styles.
1. pencils & practice paper
2. thick tagboard
3. tempera or acrylic paint
4. modeling paste (1 gallon for entire grade level)
Need these materials?
1. Introduce project and artists with PowerPoint.
2. Compare/contrast the sunflower paintings by van Gogh and O'Keeffe.
3. Demonstrate how to paint flowers and brushstroke techniques.
4. Students practice drawing flowers and painting techniques.
5. Students apply the modeling paste as if they were painting a flower.
5. When dry, apply paint color and details.
Make sure to do this project on sturdy paper, cardboard as the modeling paste is heavy.
Visual Arts Standard 1:
Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students use different media, techniques, and processes to communicate ideas, experiences, and stories
[K-4] Students know the differences between materials, techniques, and processes
Visual Arts Standard 4:
Understanding the visual arts in relation to history and cultures
[K-4] Students identify specific works of art as belonging to particular cultures, times, and places
Vincent van Gogh, Georgia O’Keeffe
American Art, Post-Impressionism