1 session; 90 minutes per session
1. SWBAT create a self-portrait in 90 minutes.
2.SWBAT get a plan, gather materials, and create their artwork.
3. SWBAT reflect on their work as they go and revise as needed.
Choice of materials possibly including
1. Canvas, matboard scraps, paper
2. Pencils, colored pencils, markers
3. Acrylic paint, watercolors, paintbrushes
4. Clay and tools
5. Collage paper, scissors, glue
6. Cardboard, wire, found objects
Need these materials?
1. Explain to the students that they have 90 minutes (or whatever time you choose) to create a self-portrait
2. Show students the handout with various styles of portraits for inspiration
3. Explain what materials are available and any other requirements you are adding
4. Students work, teacher observes
Visual Arts Standard 1:
Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[9-12 Proficient] Students conceive and create works of visual art that demonstrate an understanding of how the communication of their ideas relates to the media, techniques, and processes they use
[9-12 Proficient] Students apply media, techniques, and processes with sufficient skill, confidence, and sensitivity that their intentions are carried out in their artworks
Visual Arts Standard 2:
Using knowledge of structures and functions
[9-12 Proficient] Students create artworks that use organizational principles and functions to solve specific visual arts problems