1. Use the sides of peeled crayons to make leaf texture rubbings. (25 min.)
2. While the kids are working, call students up to a table three at a time to make their leaf prints. (10 min. each kid)
3. Roll acrylic paint onto a Gelli plate.
4. Use texture rollers to add texture to the plate.
5. Place a leaf or two on top of the painted Gelli plate.
6. Place paper down on the plate and rub your fingers on the paper to make a print. The leaf will be a mask.
7. During the next class, students layer a colored piece of construction paper on top of their crayon rubbings. Then, layer the leaf print on top. Glue all together. They can add marker decorations if they'd like. (20 min.)
Students will be assessed based on a checklist of:
Understanding of texture rubbing
Demonstration of printmaking technique