Students created paper mache birds , "Peeps" that reflected an aspect of their personality. Students at this age can be self conscious and not comfortable portraying thiemselves realistically. I had them brainstorm 3-5 personality traits or interests that helped to describe them. The chosen quality was represented in paper mache in the form of a personality "Peep"
They are a big hit!
10+ sessions; 40 minutes per session
1. SWBAT create a bird armature with given materials.
2. SWBAT create a well constructed, stable form.
3.SWBAT interpret written personal characteristics into a visual form.
4. SWBAT create a balanced sculpture.
5. SWBAT design sculpture with various mixed media to carry out the intent of their design .
2. Masking tape
3. Toilet paper tube/ paper towel tubes
4. Ross art paste
5. 6"-9" balloon
1/4 " x12" dowel rods X2 per student
6. Thin colored paper
10. Hot glue/ glue gun
11. Mixed media
12. Foam core board
13. x-acto knife
2. Create armature from newpaper, cardboard tube, balloon, masking tape and cardboard.
3. Apply layers of Ross art paste and newpaper to the armature.
4. Apply layers of thin colored paper and paper mache' paste in lieu of painting the bird form.
5. When dry, cut small hole and
hot glue wooden dowels into the
bottom of bird for legs.
6. Model feet/ shoes for your bird out of clay.
7. Embellish your bird with paint, paper, mixed media to express your idea.
8. Paint bisque fired feet/shoes and hot glue onto the dowel rod legs.
9. Hot glue the painted feet/shoes to the foam core base for stability.
Students were asked to fill out a
Reflection sheet on their
Personality Peep Project.
Students were asked to describe in short answer form the process they took in creating the bird.
Students were asked to describe which elements of art that they used in this project.
Students were asked to reflect on what what rigt and what they could have done to improve their project.
I noted cross curricular ties to
Foreign Language, History, Performing arts, Science and Technology. Some students used thier interest and knowledge of these areas to complete thier work. This is a long project! Well worth the time and effort. A high pecentage of students come away wth a very personal , high quality , keeper of an art project!
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[5-8] Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques, and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas
[5-8] Students select media, techniques, and processes; analyze what makes them effective or not effective in communicating ideas; and reflect upon the effectiveness of their choices
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[5-8] Students select and use the qualities of structures and functions of art to improve communication of their ideas
Visual Arts Standard 3: Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
[5-8] Students integrate visual, spatial, and temporal concepts with content to communicate intended meaning in their artworks
[5-8] Students use subjects, themes, and symbols that demonstrate knowledge of contexts, values, and aesthetics that communicate intended meaning in artworks
Visual Arts Standard 5: Reflecting upon and assessing the characteristics and merits of their work and the work of others
[5-8] Students compare multiple purposes for creating works of art
Visual Arts Standard 6: Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines
[5-8] Students describe ways in which the principles and subject matter of other disciplines taught in the school are interrelated with the visual arts