This beginning to advanced art lesson teaches students how to create 3 dimensional forms using pastels. It ties in Art and Science.
5 sessions; 50 minutes per session
1. SWBAT define art elements of shape and space
2. SWBAT create a lighted sphere by using a portable light and ball
3. SWBAT practice drawing the spheres showing highlights, medium light and shades.
4. SWBAT create one planet drawing using pastels to show 3 dimensions
1. Portable Lights
2. Different Sizes of Balls
3. Scratch Paper
5. Dark Pastel Paper
1. Students will define form and space with their shoulder partners
2. Students will experiment with portable lights and various sizes of balls to create different shading possibilities.
3. Students will set up different lighting scenarios and sketch them showing proper shading techniques.
4. Students will select one planet and research it for appropriate colors.
5. Students will use pastels to draw their planet in space, to show its shape and form.
6. Students will hang work up and have a Gallery Walk.
Students will hang work up and have a Gallery Walk. Each student will write a complement on a post-it for each drawing. Then each student artist will review their complements.