1. choose 3 or 4 oil pastels of different colors to use.
2. using one oil pastel (color #1), draw 3 small circles on the paper. (spread them out)
3. using another color (color #2), draw a zig-zag line around each circle.
4. then use color #3 to draw another zig-zag line around the previous circle.
5. continue to use the pattern to fill the space of the paper. The shapes will blend together, this is okay!
6. once paper is full, do a black, blue, or violet wash over the entire paper to make it look like fireworks in a night sky. This is also where you would discuss contrast (fireworks show up because of the contrast between light and dark, etc) as well as resist (what do you notice when I paint right over the oil pastel? What is happening? Why do you think this is happening?)
Students will be assessed based on the attached rubric.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students use art materials and tools in a safe and responsible manner
[K-4] Students know the differences between materials, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students describe how different materials, techniques, and processes cause different responses