Students were introduced to negative shape in this project. These large scale paintings focused on the creation of an animal drawn in contour line only. Background painting could be abstract or relate to the animal of choice.
1. SWBAT define contour line.
2. SWBAT define negative space
3. SWBAT create an animal using contour line only.
4. SWBAT design a background that enhances and creates contrast with the animal.
2. 18"x24" or larger white paper
3. Contact paper
5. Tempera paint
6. Texture stamps/rollers
1. Introduction to Positive/Negative shapes
2. Review of contour line.
3. Draw large contour of animal of choice.
4. Cut drawing out and place on contact paper. Trace and then cut out.
5. Adhere contact silhouette of animal on large white paper.
6.Use paint and texture stamps/rollers to design background.
7. When background is dry, peel the contact paper off.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[5-8] Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques, and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas
Visual Arts Standard 2: Using knowledge of structures and functions
[5-8] Students select and use the qualities of structures and functions of art to improve communication of their ideas