Your email*

Opinion [Question]

Quiet Art Classroom?

Started on Sep 03, 2012 by jfrisco
Last post on Aug 05, 2015

What is your policy on classroom noise? Do you have a quiet studio? Tell me more!

3 Keeps, 1 Likes, 5 Comments

• imagiNATION 09/07/2012 at 10:07am
    I can't handle a quiet art room. It creeps me out! To me art should be a collaborative and social activity. However, there does have to be limits so it doesn't get out of control and become chaos and headaches! I put on music and have the student noise level match the volume of the music. If they can't hear it, it is too loud. I also have a bell that I ring if students are getting too noisy. They know that is their cue to quiet down before they move down a level on the behavior tracker. I also just downloaded a noise tracker app for my ipad...checking to see if I can get it on smartboard software (I just got one this year!) as that may be a good visual...I will let you know more if I can figure it out!

• Monlisamama 10/10/2012 at 07:34pm
    I only ask for complete quiet when I am introducing the lesson or giving directions. Students may talk while they work as long as the noise doesn't get too loud and as long as the conversation doesn't take them away from the task at hand. I also like music and find that it keeps the noise down a bit.

• Annichristie 01/28/2013 at 04:06pm
    I definitely allow students to talk during art class but my 6th grade students are really loud (there are 43 of them!). For that class, I use the App "Too Noisy Pro" and display my ipad screen on my smartboard using a document camera--did I mention I work at a school of technology? The App is amazing, and my students have stopped making random loud noises.

• mrreddy 03/04/2013 at 05:47am
    Playing music can also help manage volume levels, facilitate discussion and be utilized as a behavior insentive(if you're working hard, we can listen to music).

Lyrics can be distracting or inappropriate, so I only allow instrumental music. Students are encouraged to find appropiate instrumental versions of contemporary music they enjoy.

• carolkoop 08/05/2015 at 09:03am
    For my lower grades I like to play Greg Percy - Songs in the Key of Art - quite a mix of styles and even my 6th graders ask to hear it.