Your email*

Curriculum [Question]

I can statements

Started on Nov 04, 2012 by SuperMrsGardner
Last post on Sep 27, 2013

Does anyone know a good place to find "I can" statements that address the common core essential questions? I would love to have these pre-printed and ready to display with each new project.

6 Keeps, 0 Likes, 5 Comments

• ArtKat0508 11/28/2012 at 03:23pm
    Is there actually a list of common core essential questions? I feel like I am writing everything as I go.

• MrsImpey 12/01/2012 at 07:06pm
    I am writing everything as I go as well. This is what I have done to try and make this a quick and painless process...I made an "I Can..." sign to hang on my chalk board. I took 7 pieces of large construction paper and put a smaller piece of white paper in the middle with the grade level written on it. Then, I laminated them together and put some velcro on the back of each paper and a piece of velcro on the chalk board. Now, I just write a single statement (or 2-3 for the older grades) on the laminated papers using dry erase markers.

I was having a hard time with these as well so I had a discussion with my principal about it. For kindergarten, I might write something as simple as "I Can..." identify a square, circle and triangle (writing the word and drawing the shape) for a shape project. This way, they can read the word and associate it with the picture. She only expects one "I Can" statement on the board per class at this point.

My "I Can" statements are more aligned with my lesson objectives, which are mostly art orientated but depending on the lesson, incorperate math, history, English, etc. I don't really think there are any lists of common core questions yet.

• Thoch626 02/18/2013 at 01:35pm
    I have a basket of small white paper labeled "I Can " paper. I encourage the students to fill them out themselves. I will write some key words or refer them to the lesson goal and rubric hanging in the room for getting them going. It has been interesting to see what sticks most with each individual. Have hung many of them on display with their art. ( admin likes to see that too!)

• gingerose 02/18/2013 at 05:17pm
    Have you check the teacherspayteachers.com website. They seem to have everything.

• MissB13 09/27/2013 at 01:26am
    I use Bloom's Taxonomy verbs such as "create" and "define" and "demonstrate" for my I can statements. I taped off a section on my old whiteboard for each class and include the gist of the lesson: for example, my Drawing and Painting class statement right now is "I Can... Create a monochromatic painting demonstrating skill with acrylics."