Your email*

Technology [Conversation]

The One iPad Classroom...

Started on Feb 09, 2013 by MrsImpey
Last post on Feb 28, 2013

I recently acquired an iPad for use in my classroom and I'm wondering what apps are everyone's favorites, and what do you use them to do?

3 Keeps, 0 Likes, 8 Comments

• MrsImpey 02/09/2013 at 05:26am
    I also want to be able to use my iPad on the Smartboard, if that's possible...is there a way to do this without wiring it to the projector? My projector hangs from the ceiling, so that might be quite awkward...

• artclasswithlmj 02/13/2013 at 10:33am
    Ukiyo-e -- Free app that walks through the process of printmaking - my students LOVE it. For students truly struggling with processes, this app and other like it are very helpful.

There are cords your tech people can buy that make your iPad connectable - my best suggestion is to push for APPLE TV in your classroom; the hdmi should hook directly to the smartboard and your iPad can just be shown on screen.

• artclasswithlmj 02/13/2013 at 10:33am
    Oh, and Apple TV is totally wireless.

• chadjerzak 02/14/2013 at 08:54am
    You can use the airserver App! I just got it and can project my ipad onto the smartboard no problem!

• MrsImpey 02/16/2013 at 04:43pm
    With the airserver app, does your computer need to be able to accept wireless connections? We have wireless in our district, but our classroom computers are not wireless, nor is my projector.

• TheresaGillespie 02/21/2013 at 06:25pm
    Congrats on getting the iPad! I have lots of ideas for using iPads in the Art room - even if you have just one - on my website - http://ipadsintheartroom.weebly.com/index.html

And yes the airsever app needs wireless connection on whatever computer it is installed on. Since I move from building to building to building throughout the week I have a laptop that is wireless and so it will work with the app but the iMac that is in most classrooms hooked up to the SmartBoard is not set up on the wireless network. Also one of my rooms has poor wireless connection.

• MrsImpey 02/23/2013 at 03:47pm
    Thanks! Do you have a way to follow your iPad website when new posts are added?

• Astabeth 02/28/2013 at 12:49pm
    A cool drawing app is Sketchbook Pro. It is great! I have tried just about all of the good drawing / painting apps and this is by far my favorite.