1. SWBAT create clay animal.
2. SWBAT illustrate understanding of Oaxacan culture
2. Clay tools
3. Tempera paint
1. Introduce students to clay methods, tools, etc.
2. Explain and show examples of Oaxaca culture
3. Show students power point of various examples of the wood carvings
4. Have a discussion of various qualities the wood carvings have (bright colors, animal shows movement, detailed)
1. Students will be assessed based on the attached rubric
This is a lesson from a teacher I worked with in a middle school during student teaching. I could see it working over a wide variety of age levels. 4th grade is a happy medium for me, students can independently work and still can grasp the concepts of the Oaxacan culture.
Texture, Form, Color/Value
Geography, Multicultural Studies