1. Introduce students to pop art, and some pop artists in history and some that are working in that style today...like Romero Britto and James Goldcrown
2. Talk about how pop art is based on popular images. Have students notice the bright, flat colors and patterns that are seen.
3. Students will pick a popular image, it can be anything that has meaning for them...video game character, food, animal.....then an artists that they are inspired by and they will begin to plan the composition
4. Once students have 3 ideas sketched out they get one approved and begin to work. ( I have them pick the center, either drawing or paint and tell me what media they will use. It can also be a mixed media.)
5. When they finish they need to write the name of the artist they used for inspiration on the back of the work.
Students will fill out an exit slip.
Who was your inspiring artist?
What part of the work do you think is most successful?
What could you improve on?
Then we have an art walk and they have to guess what artist 5 of their classmates work was inspired from.