6 sessions; 30 minutes per session
1. SWBAT Organize colors in the order of the color wheel.
2. SWBAT put simple shapes together to create a new shape (birds)
3. SWBAT Use values to show shadows in their work.
4. SWBAT Mix colors to create their intermediate colors.
1. 12X18 Drawing Paper
2. Practice Paper
4. Color Wheel (for reference)
5. Colored Pencils, Crayons, or paint.
Need these materials? Visit Blick!
1. Practice drawing birds using the the "Drawing Simple Birds" handout. Students can practice drawing birds in different positions once they have practiced the simple birds. (15-20 minutes)
2. On their final 12x18 page, students will draw a double line ( telephone wire or tree branch).
3. Students will lightly draw 12 birds doing different things (different sizes too.)
4. Students will add details to each bird (eye, beak, wings, feathers, worms, etc.)
5. Students will have to color each bird correctly in the order of the color wheel. We always start with red.
6. Students will finish this project by adding shadows on each bird (wherever needed).
Visual Arts Standard 1:
Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students use different media, techniques, and processes to communicate ideas, experiences, and stories
[5-8] Students select media, techniques, and processes; analyze what makes them effective or not effective in communicating ideas; and reflect upon the effectiveness of their choices
[5-8] Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques, and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas
Visual Arts Standard 2:
Using knowledge of structures and functions
[K-4] Students use visual structures and functions of art to communicate ideas
[K-4] Students describe how different expressive features and organizational principles cause different responses
Visual Arts Standard 3:
Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
[K-4] Students select and use subject matter, symbols, and ideas to communicate meaning