1. Teachers will review colors and color schemes. (15 minutes).
2. Students will search for images of flowers and patterns. I tried to stay with flowers that had larger centers for my patterns, but students could draw them directly on the petals and/or stems. Students will then use a pencil and sketch paper to sketch out their chosen images. (60 minutes).
3. If students are going to tape their paper down, they will need to do this at this point. (5-10 minutes).
4. Students will choose one watercolor to do a wash over their watercolor paper (5-10 minutes).
5. Students will lightly sketch their flowers onto their watercolor paper. Try to vary the height and size of your flowers to add interest. (15 minutes).
6. Students will add different shades to their flowers using their chosen color and black. (15-45 minutes).
7. Once students have their flower painted the way they like, they can sketch in where they want their patterns. (5-15 minutes).
8. Students will use their black markers to trace over their pattern lines.
Visual Arts Standard 1: Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students use different media, techniques, and processes to communicate ideas, experiences, and stories
[K-4] Students use art materials and tools in a safe and responsible manner
[K-4] Students know the differences between materials, techniques, and processes
[K-4] Students describe how different materials, techniques, and processes cause different responses
[5-8] Students select media, techniques, and processes; analyze what makes them effective or not effective in communicating ideas; and reflect upon the effectiveness of their choices
Rhythm/Pattern, Line, Form, Color/Value
You must be logged in to keep, like, or comment on this resource.